18 Best Home Remedies To Cure Constipation
Constipation (also known as costiveness, dyschezia, and dyssynergic defaecation) refers to bowel movements that are infrequent or hard to pass. Constipation is a common cause of painful defecation. Constipation is common; in the general population incidence of constipation varies from 2 to 30%.
1. The most important causes of chronic constipation are a faulty diet and style of living. It is common knowledge that a diet that is deficient in fiber will eventually lead to constipation. Simply including fiber rich foods like fresh fruits and cereals in your daily diet would help treating constipation.
2. Intake of refined and rich foods lacking in vitamins and minerals, insufficient intake of water, consumption of meat in large quantities, excessive use of strong tea and coffee, insufficient chewing, overeating and wrong combination of foods, irregular habits of eating and drinking may all contribute to poor bowel function.
3. An inactive lifestyle
4. Poor bowel habits such as ignoring the urge to have bowel movements Stress
5. Medications such as painkillers (especially codeine), antacids, antispasmodic drugs, antidepressants or iron tablets
6. Medical conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism), spinal injury, multiple sclerosis, kidney failure, colon or rectal cancer, too much calcium in the blood, tumors and lesions of the bowel
7. Habitual use of laxatives and enemas (leading to a rebound effect) * Changes in the environment
8. Mature age – older adults often suffer from constipation due to a combination of poor diet, insufficient fluids, poor bowel habits or the side effects of prescription medication
9. Pregnancy – hormonal changes and pressure on the bowel by the heavy womb can cause prolonged constipation which can in turn result in the development of anal fissures or hemorrhoids
1. Coated tongue
2. Foul breath
3. Loss of appetite
6. Dark circles under the eyes
9. Pimples on the face
10. Ulcer in the mouth
11. Constant fullness in the abdomen
12. Diarrhea alternating with constipation
13. Varicose veins
14. Pain in the lumbar region
16. Heart burn