5 Best Essential Oils That Can Help you Lose Weight Fast
I’ve blogged elsewhere on my battle with PCOS and my struggles with weight loss. However, I wanted to document it separately here since I know so many of us struggle with losing weight aside from other challenged systems.
Why Essential Oils?
Essential oils can be a natural aid for weight loss and weight maintenance. They can have very positive impact on weight loss efforts when combined with healthy diet and lifestyle. Essential oils may aid in your weight-loss journey by helping to melt the unwanted fat, assisting in ridding the body of toxins and maintaining overall health of all the body’s systems.
Diffusing or directly inhaling essential oils can have an immediate positive impact on moods and appetites. Olfaction (inhaling) is the only sense that has a direct effect on the limbic region of the brain. Fragrance influences can penetrate the amygdala in the centre of the brain in such a manner that frequent inhalation of pleasing aromas can significantly reduce appetite.
1. Peppermint Essential Oil:
Best For Sweet Cravings and Digestion.
Peppermint essential oil has unique weight loss benefits. It is great for reducing appetite and helps suppress cravings. As we all know, it takes twenty minutes (on average) for the stomach to tell the brain that it is full. When inhaled peppermint works on that part of the brain. It is effective in creating serotonin in the brain that is linked with cravings for sweets.
A study on the effects of peppermint scent on appetite control found that participants inhaling peppermint essential oil were less likely to feel hungry and had fewer cravings than the ones who didn’t inhale peppermint essential oil. You can read more about that study here.
Peppermint oil is also great for relieving digestive issues and can sooth stomach upset.
How We Use Peppermint Essential Oil:
1. Since peppermint essential oil smells refreshing I diffuse a few drops an hour before each meal to aid in suppressing my appetite.
2. Peppermint tastes great and I find adding a drop to a large glass of water and taken throughout the day, not only reduces my appetite but gives a much needed energy boost too.*
Young Living Essential Oils are the purest you will find, because of this using one drop will be more than enough for a large glass (pint) of water. This is because one drop of peppermint is equivalent to 28 cups of peppermint tea!
3. To start my day of right, I use my D.I.Y. shower discs to energise and again aid in appetite suppression – I add 2-3 drops to each pre-made disc.
2. Grapefruit Essential Oil:
Prevents Bloating, Water Retention and Dissolves Fat.
Grapefruit essential oil is one of the best essential oils for weight loss due to the d-limonene found within it. It helps in releasing fatty acids into bloodstream where the body breaks them down and uses it for energy.
It has long been used for its many and varying health benefits such as: metabolism stimulating, detoxing the lymphatic system and burning fat. It is packed with Vitamin C and the powerful antioxidant Lycopene which helps detoxify and cleanse the lymphatic system. Toxicity in the body can lead to unwanted weight gain because our body stores toxins in the excess fat when it does not know how to release it from the body.
Citrus oils like grapefruit, lemon and orange essential oils help to release the toxins from our metabolic pathways. Along with natural weight loss management properties, grapefruit is known for its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-depressant properties.
Grapefruit is also a major constituent of the Slique Essence oil which I discuss further in this post.
How We Use Grapefruit Essential Oil:
1. I add one to two drops to a glass of water, which is not only invigorating and refreshing but helps to flush out toxins and burn fat.
Top Tip: If you add any citrus oil to any drink, you will need use a glass, not a plastic cup, since they break down petrochemicals. This is great for the body, not so great for the cup!
2. I add 20 drops to a cup of coconut oil and massage in to areas affected by cellulite.
NB. Please be aware that citrus oils are photosenstive. Do not expose skin with citrus oils on for at least 24 hours.
3. Add 5 drops of grapefruit essential oil to your (hot) bath, combining it with 5 drops of ginger, 5 drops of orange, 5 drops of sandalwood and 5 drops of lemon essential oil for an anti-cellulite bath. Be sure to combine your oils with a cup of Epsom salts before adding to your bath, to ensure the oils disperse throughout the water and do not just sit on the top. Since Epsom salts aid in the detoxing of the body, make sure you are well hydrated, before, during and after your bath.